"If your heart is in your dreams, no request is too extreme."

Disney Past and Present

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

We Leave in 5 Days...

I can't believe it. We setting off for Disney in just five days. This summer has gone by so fast!

When I think about the day I got the email accepting me into the program, on one hand it seems like it was just yesterday and on the other it seems it's another life. In a way, it was; I was still in school, living in my apartment with Rachel, and babysitting. Now, I've graduated, moved out of the apartment, Rach is married, and I'm looking towards my next job, as a Disney cast member.

This journey south marks so much more than just an internship for Victoria and I. We are moving forward to new opportunities for life. We are truly seeing this as a chance to network, and learn more about other opportunities within the company that we may be interested in pursuing.

It's entirely possible that I will come home in January, happy to have had the experience, but ready to look into options elsewhere, and if that is the case, I will be satisfied knowing I was able to work for Disney for a few months, and have a bit of a vacation after four difficult years of college.

However, there is also the possibility that I will love the company and want to work for them forever. I don't know what all the opportunities are but here are a few I am thinking... One is entertainment. To be satisfied doing this, I will have to be in the shows. I don't want to be walking around in costume, I know that for sure. This would also mean I would have to be in FL or CA away from my family and friends. The next thing I know I would love is getting involved in the partnership Disney has with the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Disney does ALOT of work with them, and I would love to work one-on-one with the families to plan their Disney vacation.  I can also see myself working for the college program. This is looking quite appealing because you apply for the region you want to work in. This means, I would apply for the New England region and be assigned colleges within to visit and talk to, at job fairs, etc. Essentially I would be a college admissions employee, but for Disney. (Benefits of working for Disney + living close to home = VERY appealing)

There are so many other things I know I would enjoy but I am not sure what the possibilities are. I could definitely do events or even marketing, but we'll see! I'll try to find out as much as I can while I'm down there and network. If there's anything I learned from theatre, it's to make connections with people.

I bounce back and forth between being so excited, and being very sad about leaving my friends and family. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a family girl and that will be so so hard. My favorite time of the year is Christmas, and while it will be so exciting to see Disney decorated for the holidays, it will be difficult not to be here.

I think we appreciate everything more when we have to leave, and I have enjoyed my time with each friend or family member that much more, knowing I will be leaving soon. It's made my last few weeks here very special. I'm looking forward to having time to keep in contact by phone, or even letters (which sounds very romantic and exciting to the theatre/history nerd in me!)

I'm really hoping to have a good amount of visitors while we are down there, and it seems from talking to people that we will. We get 40-60% off hotel rooms as well as discounts on food, merchandise, and park tickets. So hopefully our family and friends will take advantage if they can. So far, there is someone thinking about coming each month to visit, so that hopefully that will come together.

I will update soon with the rest of Epcot! I'm sure I will also blog on Saturday before we leave :)

Thank you to everyone who is sharing this experience with me through blog. Strange, but it makes me feel like I'm going through it with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment