"If your heart is in your dreams, no request is too extreme."

Disney Past and Present

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Surprise Day Off

Blog Entry from August 21, 2011:

So yesterday I was supposed to go to a session called "DAKlamation" which is all about the history of Animal Kingdom but mine had to be rescheduled so I had a surprise day off! It worked out really well because my parents were leaving that evening so I was able to spend some time with them before they had to go.

I met them at Magic Kingdom and it was my first time getting in free, as a Cast Member. It was VERY exciting. I got to go through a special CM line and everything! Walking down Main St. will never stop being magical. I don't think it will matter how many times I walk into MK, that will never change.

I met my parents at the Emporium, a store on Main Street and we talked with a few CM's there. I know I say it in every blog post, but everyone is SO nice.

After walking around Main Street we went on the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean before heading back to the Grand Floridian for lunch before my parents had to leave. We ate at "The Grand Floridian Cafe," which will always stay in my memory as the restaurant we had brunch on Easter in 2006.

After lunch we went to the concierge level, which my parents still had access to since they checked out that morning. It is so comfortable there - they have couches and tables and two televisions that were playing Disney shows. It was nice to be with my parents before they were leaving but the time was sad. I knew I would be by myself for a few hours after they left and before Victoria got out of work and I knew that was going to be hard. My mom and dad were talking about when they would come back and see us and how fast the time would fly by.

Before I knew it, it was time for them to leave. It was so surreal to be in Disney with my sister and my parents and have them leave. I've never gone to Disney with them and not gone home with them. I knew that this was what would happen, but it still seemed so strange.

Of course, it was also during the late afternoon storm that their bus came. I stood in the lobby of the Grand Floridian watching them load their suitcases into the Magical Express bus - in my sadness, I couldn't help but find it a little "funny" how dramatic and movie-like it seemed. It made me think of the scene in "The Parent Trap" when Hallie has to leave her mom in London to go back to California. I had tears in my eyes and felt a bit ridiculous, BUT in all honesty, it was really sad. Victoria and I had been staying at the hotel with my parents and I knew that night we would be officially on our own in our apartment (which is still not completely unpacked).

In the midst of my tears, I saw a family of a mom, dad, three older kids (around my age), and a grandmother, and the dad was taking a picture of the family. Even though I didn't have my name tag on I fulfilled my Cast Member duty of courtesy and going above and beyond and I asked if they wanted me to take the picture for them so that they could all be in it. Naturally, they were so grateful, and when I turned back around the bus had left.

I walked back into the lobby and up the stairs to the concierge level and my dad called. He said he loved me and he's so excited for us and can't wait to come back. Of course, I started crying again. It's interesting that this all happened in the Grand Floridian because that hotel has always felt like Disney home in a way. We stayed there when Victoria and I were little and ate there with dance and I spent a great evening with Nate there watching the band play (because they have a wonderful full band that plays each night).

As I waited for Victoria to get out of work I thought about how much I missed Nate and my parents (already). I truly love it here and feel so at home here but that brings about this torn feeling I've never felt - like my heart is in two places. I feel so secure that it will all work out. I have incredible peace about being here and my future with the company. It seems so soon to be saying that, and I can't explain it any other way but that there's just this all encompassing feeling that this is right.

When Victoria got out we had dinner at the free concierge food level of the hotel and then went to Magic Kingdom. It was so so exciting and fun to be there with her, and we even got to see the Main Street Electrical Parade before leaving.

It was an emotional, but wonderful day.

Here are some pictures of that Easter I was talking about:




No comments:

Post a Comment