"If your heart is in your dreams, no request is too extreme."

Disney Past and Present

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Traditions!

Blog Entry from August 19, 2011:


Yesterday we went to Universal Studios to see Harry Potter World. Since this blog is about my Disney experience, I'm not going to say much except that I'm glad I went, but Disney would have done it better. I'm not just saying that because I work for them, I was just really disappointed with Universal. Like I said though, I'm really happy I got to see it! Onto Disney... :)


After getting back from Universal my family and I ultimately ended up going to California Grill, the restaurant on the top on the Contemporary Resort. It was SO delicious. They definitely have the best sushi on Disney property (compared to the sushi at the Polynesian resort and at Tokyo in Epcot). A must try if you're a sushi fan. We happened to walk in an hour before the "Wishes" fireworks started at Magic Kingdom, and since you can see the castle from the Contemporary resort, they dim the lights and pipe in the music to the program while we watch. It was magical. I would definitely recommend it to anyone vacationing at Disney, especially if you want to see the fireworks but didn't want to spend a pass on the parks that day. It is on the pricey side, but they have flatbreads for $11-$13 and the sushi is in the $20's BUT it comes with ALOT of sushi and is so so delicious.





 It was a really nice memory for my family :)




Today we had "Traditions". What this is, is a class that every single Cast Member of the Walt Disney company (not just WDW, but EVERYONE) has to take. It was SO much fun.


We started off the class with a video about the company itself, and some history. They defined the word traditions as "the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs, by word of mouth, or by example, from one generation to another." They, essentially were bringing us into the Disney family by letting us in on the traditions that Walt laid out for us that they intend to carry on within each one of us. It is such a wonderful idea because it automatically brings you into this family, this legacy, where you know you will be a part of the company's history. That is so neat.


They talked about what we do now as Cast Members because of what Walt wanted. I'm going to share a story that one of my "Traditions" leaders, Kristin, shared with us. So one day a little girl walked into Magic Kingdom with her parents. She loved to read and so she of course, was very excited to meet Belle. When she saw Belle, she told her about her love of books, and Belle asked what her favorite book was. The little girl replied that she just finished a book about Walt Disney. Belle smiled and asked what she remembered about Disney. The little girl looked at her and said "Walt created Disneyland because he wanted a place where families could grow closer together."


Ugh! Literally tears welled up in my eyes and I wanted to ask if Belle cried, but I was sure I knew the answer. What the little girl said was true. Walt wanted to create a family friendly place that was fun for "children" of all ages. Where families felt taken care of and didn't have to worry about trash, or unfriendly employees. The park is still very much what Walt wanted. Safety is of utmost importance here at Disney and next is courtesy.


It is so so important to the company that we treat our guests with courtesy as well as other Cast Members. It's such a simple idea, and yet I've never worked somewhere that the employees respected one another and talked kindly. Of course, everyone has a bad day, and everyone is going to have a time where they are frustrated, but if our goal is to be courteous to everyone we encounter you can't go wrong. So far I've truly seen that displayed by the Cast Members here.


Walt wanted every guest to feel at home and welcome and that is why it is so important to go above and beyond to make every guest happy. Anyone who has come to WDW had witnessed first hand the VIP treatment each guest receives. You truly feel like a princess or a prince while you're here and that is what makes us want to return. That's what made me want to work here.


And, of course, Mickey dropped by with a special box containing our Disney name tags!!!!!! It was VERY exciting to see mine and put it on (it goes over your heart - very cute). It was magical.

I don't think I can go into too much more detail on what "Traditions" entailed, however, I will say that we are told in the class that our goal each day is to make our guests happy. We can do that by smiling and talking to them like they matter, by treating everyone - including children like they are important, and by going above and beyond - by doing things like getting a new ice cream for a child (or adult) that dropped theirs. We will never be reprimanded for going above and beyond (except we can't give out free tickets or free hotel stays - of course!) Those are pretty much our perimeters.


I'm learning that everyone here has a story about a guest that touched their heart. Kristin had the story about Belle and the little girl, and our other "Traditions" leader (who is one of the managers at the Boardwalk) had a nice story about surprising a teenaged guest with a cupcake on his birthday. He told us that the mother came over to him at the end of their stay and said that he had changed their vacation. She said that that action brought her son back into the magic and he actively joined their vacation from then on. Another Cast Member saw a little boy who got sick on his t-shirt. She got him a brand new one free of charge from a merchandise location, took his old one, had it washed at the costuming center and sent it to his hotel. All these things are ENCOURAGED by management. Who wouldn't want to work here?


I can't wait to really be working and have the opportunity to change someone's vacation or make them feel truly special. We have no idea where each guest is coming from, or how long they saved to be here and I just can't wait to be a part of someone's Disney memory. I think that all children should have a moment when they feel so so special. My parents worked incredibly hard to ensure that my sister and I would feel that way, and I think it is so wonderful to give that to a child, or an adult.


I could go on and on about more stories I've heard, or first hand experiences, but I'll save them for another time. Basically, "Traditions" was amazing, and in four hours, made me feel like I could work with this company for the rest of my life. I can honestly say that in the past week I have had more moments of pure joy and happiness than I've had in a very long time. Not because I don't have a wonderful life, and not because I don't have wonderful people surrounding me, but because I am somewhere I feel I belong more than I've felt in any school, show, or workplace anywhere. Ever. It's so amazing to be doing something I love for such a wonderful company that encourages me in that.


Speaking of wonderful company.... There is a restaurant called "Victoria & Alberts," located at the Grand Floridian. It is a five-diamond restaurant - one of only two in the state of FL, and one of forty one in the US. 


We knew we wanted to go there as a family so weeks ago I made reservations for today at 5:15 PM.  However, on check in day I was given my "Traditions" schedule which was today from 2-6. So after check in I called the restaurant to see if they had any cancellations that we could switch into. The Cast Member I spoke to was named Lauren, and she said she could move us to 6 but that was the only time slot. She said not to worry about it, to just have my family get there on time and she told me just to come after I got out. However, yesterday I missed a phone call and when I listened to the message it was Lauren. She called me to tell me that they had a cancellation at 8 pm and she thought that might work better for me so to give her a call back to let her know either way what I wanted to do.


That's what they're talking about! Above and beyond service that makes everyone feel special and keeps guests coming back. It was so so nice of her to not only remember I had a conflict, but call me to let me know there was a cancellation that might fit better in our schedule. Needless to say we took the later time and were very impressed by the customer service.




When we checked into the restaurant (which was a suit jacket/tie affair), we were immediately greeted with congratulations on becoming new cast members. Victoria and I (of course) began a conversation with the restaurant manager and assistant manager about the company and our desire to stay in it. They were so so nice! I can not get over how willing everyone in the company is to help others. We talked for a few minutes before they brought us over to our table. When we sat down our waiter came over and handed us custom made menus! Victory and my menu even said at the top "Congratulations on the WDWCP!" It was very exciting.


It was a seven course meal. And each course was exquisite. I suppose we should have expected that from the five diamond restaurant, but I couldn't have imagined just how delicious it was. There are only 12 or so tables in the entire restaurant and there are two waiters to every table. It was such an experience. If you ever have the chance, and love experiencing food, I would definitely suggested saving up to go to the restaurant. You will not be disappointed. You are treated like kings and queens the entire night and it was such a wonderful experience. Halfway through our meal, the manager Israel came over to our table and said he really enjoyed meeting Victoria and I and gave us his card in case we wanted to set up a meeting with him about opportunities there. It was so exciting. We've only been here a few days and already Cast Members (in management AND at a five diamond restaurant none-the-less) is noticing how well we fit into the Disney family. 


Our meal took about 3 hours and it was wonderful. I wish I could better put into words how great it was. Let me attempt to describe the atmosphere. There was a harpist playing and everyone is dressed very nicely. The waiters were wearing suits with tails on their jackets. The colors are soft and include a pale pink, green, and gold. 


It was incredible. We could not have had a more perfect ending to our week. My parents leave tomorrow and I know it will be sad, but we couldn't have had a better final dinner in Disney together.


The best part is that the manager of the restaurant came over to us after we ate, gave us his card, and said he would be interested in perhaps cross training us or looking into opportunities working with them. So hopefully I will be able to set up a meeting with him in the next few weeks to discuss some options!!! Everyone there was so nice, just like everyone has been so far. It's been so much more than I could have even expected. I love it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment