"If your heart is in your dreams, no request is too extreme."

Disney Past and Present

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Walt Disney World Anniversaries

Victoria and I will be at WDW for some very important anniversaries!

First off, this year is the 30th anniversary of the college program itself! It launched in 1981 and consisted of 200 students from 30 schools working in Magic Kingdom. Since then more than 45,000 students have participated. I'm sure we will be celebrating something as CP's, of course I won't know how much until we are there. Luckily we only have to wait 24 more days. (yikes)

The second big anniversary is the 40th anniversary of Magic Kingdom! The park opened on October 1, 1971. Disney has yet to announce plans for the big day, but they have released the merchandise they are selling for the year. (For anyone that is a huge Disney collector, these are for them!)


Disney's Senior Graphic Designer, Natalie Kennedy, created a 40 anniversary collage which is featured on many anniversary merchandise. In order to create the collage she collected Disney memorabilia from across the years. Taking elements from all four parks, as well of images of Walt himself, she worked for three months to finish the collage.

In stores all around Magic Kingdom, and the resorts purses, hats, journals, etc, will adorn Kennedy's collage. Many of the images she chose are iconic Disney photos and memorabilia.

Another quintessential Disney icon is (of course) the Cinderella Castle. Naturally, the Disney Theme Park Merchandise team created a special pattern of different Disney attractions that have made Magic Kingdom what it is today. This collage, in the shape of the castle, was "created to evoke nostalgic memories for guests, and hopefully make a few say, "Oh my gosh! I forgot how much I LOVED that attraction when I was younger!" says Disney Cast Member, Dara Trujillo, Manager of Merchandise Synergy, Events, and Communication.

There are 18 different attractions in the castle. See if you can identify some!







Of course, they had to design purses for the anniversary as well. I have been looking for a small shoulder bag that fits snug to me that I could use when we walk around the parks and now I can wait to buy an anniversary purse (at my discounted rate of course!). For anyone who is a Disney collector but not able to visit us and use our discounts, you can buy them online and receive up to 30% off on certain dates!

The Dooney and Bourke bags are very cute and also have a nostalgic style. They feature everything from retro WDW icons to classic silhouettes of Mickey, original park tickets and maps, and autographs.


The last bit of merchandise I'll discuss are the mouse ear hats! These hats have a 1970's MK map on the upside of the hats!

They are also designed in the 1970's style, which anyone who was able to go when the park first opened will recognize.




I know I wrote some details on the opening of Magic Kingdom in a previous entry but here are a few more interesting facts I did not include:

The park opened to 10,000 visitors with 21 attractions including Cinderella's Golden Carousel, Country Bear Jamboree, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Hall of Presidents, Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Treehouse and Snow White's Adventures. Incredible, huh? These are some of my childhood favorites, I'm guessing they were yours too :)

For kicks, here is a picture from when my dad went to Disney the year it opened with his younger brother Brian and older brother, Jay.




No comments:

Post a Comment