"If your heart is in your dreams, no request is too extreme."

Disney Past and Present

Friday, April 1, 2011

A Waiting Game

As graduation approaches I'm feeling increasingly more sentimental towards my time at Gordon. I find myself actually going to Lane and Jenks (those who know me know that I have avoided both buildings since freshman year), and trying to take in my last few weeks (!!) here at Gordon. Just when I started to wish I was continuing to be a student, I read my Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World and those desires almost immediately faded.

It's becoming more of a reality that Victoria and I will be living in Florida in the fall. I found a gym called Anytime Fitness (which is open 24 hours! - hence the name) that has Zumba, Pilates, and Yoga classes. For those who don't know, I am taking my PE class this quad (yes, I waited until 4th quad of senior year), and I chose Zumba. It is SO wonderful. I absolutely love it. If you want to get some exercise AND have fun, you need to take a Zumba class. I honestly don't even feel like I'm working out, and it feels good to be dancing again. Zumba is a Latin dance inspired aerobics class that focuses on total body fitness, and man does it target every muscle in your body! I was sore in places I didn't even know you could be! They advertise Zumba as a "dance party", which I thought was corny, but it's true! I literally feel like I'm a part of a fun Latin/Caribbean party dancing with the islanders. Needless to say, I am VERY excited that I found a gym within miles of my Disney apartment where Victoria and I can take classes (when we're not getting exercise from walking around Epcot's World Showcase of course!).

The whole point of this entry was to update you on a few more Disney facts I learned from my book. I'm still in the Magic Kingdom section (it's 63 pages, and I'm taking my time) so here are some facts I thought were especially interesting (and I of course am including pictures - for those who haven't been, and Stevie):

On Tom Sawyer Island:

"As you explore, you may come across a paintbrush carelessly left by Tom as he rushed off to the swimmin' hole. If you turn the paintbrush in to an Island Cast Member, you'll be rewarded with a Fast Pass for a Frontierland attraction. You need to arrive first thing in the morning for the best chance at finding the brush."

How fun? I am especially excited to share this information with some younger cousins who will be going to Disney in the fall! (Although there are a few "big kids" who might enjoy finding Tom's paintbrush as well... :) )


On Tom Sawyer Island is a section called Fort Langhorne. Anyone know off the top of their head who this is named after? I'll give you a hint: his full (and real) name is Samuel Langhorne Clemens. You've probably guessed correctly that it is Mark Twain, the author of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer!

If you ever go to Disney and pay a visit to Tom Sawyer Island, my dad and I learned that right around midday when the weather becomes very hot and you're ready for a nice break to cool down, there is a wonderful ferry ride around the island, that is breezy and refreshing. The entrance, I believe, is actually in Liberty Square (which borders Frontierland), and it is called the Liberty Bell Riverboat. Perfect in the afternoon when the sun is high!

As you travel from Liberty Square to Frontierland, you are symbolically traveling, just as some Americans did, from the thirteen colonies on the east coast across the frontier to California. In the book it says:

"Having reached the West Coast and the train station at the terminus of the transcontinental railroad, you can't miss the two mountain ranges reaching skyward...head up the stairs to the train station itself, then stop and listen. You will hear Morse code emanating from the telegraph office, transmitting Walt Disney's opening day speech at Disneyland in California."

I love learning these little things, I think it really makes you appreciate the parks that much more. It also helps gain even a slight understanding of the work that went into the imageneering of the parks.

All this reading about Magic Kingdom is really making me want to work in that particular park. It's possible that I will work in multiple parks, and it is also possible that I will want to work at whichever park I'm reading about on a particular day. But for now, Magic Kingdom sounds wonderful.

That's all for now! I'll post soon with some more fun facts about Walt Disney World. Since it is the section I read today, here is a picture of my dad and I at the foot of Splash Mountain my sophomore year of college.



"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." - Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment